The Glenkiln sculptures are a collection of works by Henry Moore and others that are out on display in a quiet little valley north west of Dumfries. They were installed by local landowner Sir William “Tony” Keswick between 1951 and 1976. We visited at the end of January just as the sun was setting. Most of the sculptures can be seen from the small roads that wind through the valley but a couple of them require a bit of extra effort to hike up the hillside. “John the Baptist” by Auguste Rodin is right by the small car park at the head of Glenkiln Reservoir.
This sculpture is the last one at the end of the valley before the road crosses the burn and disappears off through the hills.
“Two Piece Reclining Figure” by Henry Moore is up the Glen Burn valley that runs west from just below the Glenkiln dam.There are a number of web sites with more information. The AA site has a map and directions for a walk around all of the sculptures.